The history of the Broome County Council of Churches began with the organization of the United Churches of Broome County in the spring of 1941. Twenty-six churches united in this cooperative effort. In 1959 the organization was incorporated as the Broome County Council of Churches. The Council currently has approximately 150 member Protestant, Anglican and Roman Catholic congregations, plus an affiliation with three Jewish synagogues, an Islamic Mosque and several non-denominational congregations that participate on interfaith efforts.
The Council’s mission is to provide a vehicle for local faith communities to cooperate on neighborhood or county wide efforts. Its motto is “Connecting compassion with needs; inspiring growth with dignity.” Currently this is expressed in chaplaincy programs in local jails, hospitals and nursing homes; several study, worship and outreach programs for area congregations; a Peace with Justice committee; Encounter, a television and a radio program; a Faith in Action Volunteers program; and CHOW (Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse) with its emergency food, nutrition education, food recovery program, the CHOW farm, and Broome Bounty, our food recovery program.