So often people make poor choices, which can lead them down roads which can fracture their lives and those around them. In many cases, these decisions can result in loss of freedom, health, family, and dignity. The cost is staggering in far more ways than simply in terms of money. The potential and worth of human beings can often be clouded although that are still in fact people created in the image of God. This image may be tarnished or fractured, but the pieces may still be able to be put back together and polished. It is the hope of the Jail Ministry that opportunities and help can be provided to restore people back into a right relationship with God, themselves, their loved ones and their community.
The Jail Ministry team is comprised of two full time staff persons and nearly 100 volunteers who minister to both the needs of those who are incarcerated or recently released, and their families.
The Coordinating Chaplain oversees weekly worship services and classes for the entire jail population as well as pastoral care for both the inmates and staff. A skilled team of volunteers carries out a great deal of the daily programs, religious services and visitation.
Reentry services are provided at the Broome County Council of Churches Offices.
Cris Mogenson – Jail Ministry Director
- B.A. from Eastern Nazarene College in Quincy, MA; M. Div. Nazarene Theological Seminary in K.C., MO; Doctoral Candidate North Eastern Seminary, Rochester, NY, C.P.E. in K.C., MO; N.Y.C.; and W.V.
- Ordained in the Church of the Nazarene in 1992, and transferred to the Free Methodist Church in 1996, He has served as a pastor for 17 years in TX, NJ, NY, PA & WV. Cris is the youth leader for the Windsor U.M.C. and often provides pulpit supply for many area churches.
- Past institutional experience include two other prisons, three hospitals, rehabilitation facility, inner city shelter, retirement facility, Fire Department, and industrial setting. Cris is the Chairperson of a Salvation Army Service Unit and a board member several county and non-profit agencies.
- President of the New York State Association of Protestant Chaplains which is part of the New York State Council of Churches
- Chaplain for the Civil Air Patrol (Capt.)